More MX Info

Most of our website is organized to provide specific information about specific destinations in Mexico. This section includes additional information that you might find helpful anywhere in Mexico that you travel.

Passports are now required for air travel between the United States and Mexico, as well as between Canada and Mexico.  (Some other forms of ID will work for travel by land and sea but we won’t go into a discussion of those documents here.)

Click here for the CNN 5-day weather forecast for Mexico City but once there, you can select the forecast for other cities in Mexico.  It also includes a weather satellite image of the country.

  1. credit: malias on Flickr

The electric service in Mexico is operates at 127 Volts, alternating at 60 cycles per second.  That’s close enough to the 120/60 U.S. standard that any appliance designed for use in the U.S. will work in Mexico.  While some hotels and rental properties may make use of the same 3-prong grounded plug that is common in the U.S., the most common plug you will see will be a 2-prong flat (“type a”) style with both prongs the same (small) size.  For that reason, you may want to bring along an adapter for your 3 prong (“type b”) plugs as well as those with polorized 2-prong plugs, which have one side larger than the Mexico standard.

The legal drinking age in Mexico is 18 but we suspect that it is not always enforced.

Don’t drink the tap water.   This is purely anecdotal but if you have some concerns about developing a problem with your stomach, take 2 Pepto Bismol tablets per day as a preventative.  Seems to work every time.

See the links to the right for some other helpful information.